Belmont Mothers Out Front is working on several exciting initiatives. Come join us!
Worried about gas leaks?
Did you know that within its 4.6 square miles Belmont has 80 gas leaks, with the oldest dating back to 1996? Of these, only 7 are scheduled to be fixed within the next 12 months.
Here is a link to a map showing Belmont’s gas leaks as of December 2015, when there were 90 leaks:
- Gas leaks are a threat to health – they exacerbate asthma and other respiratory illnesses - and the methane they leak is 84 times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide over a 20 year period, contributing to climate change.
- And who pays for the leaked gas? We, the consumers. The gas company has little incentive to fix all but the worst leaks.
Join Sustainable Belmont, Mothers Out Front Belmont, and the First Church Belmont Green Group for a presentation about gas leaks on Wednesday, April 27 at 7 pm at the Belmont Library Assembly Room. Learn about efforts to hold the gas companies accountable for fixing their leaks and what you can do to help.
- Playing a crucial role with the town's Belmont Goes Solar program to promote installment of solar panels in Belmont. Our goal is to help Belmont Goes Solar establish 100 new solar installations.
- Working with the town's Energy Committee and other groups to get Belmont on a path to achieve the climate action goals outlined in the town's Climate Action Plan.
- Working with the town's local electric company to improve its carbon offset program called Green Choice.
- Exploring how Belmont Mothers Out Front may help reduce gas leaks in Belmont and beyond. Stay tuned for details of how we act and you can get involved.
- Hosting educational events to raise awareness about climate change. On Sunday, March 6th, Belmont Mothers Out Front will co-host (along with Beth El Temple Center and others) a viewing of the film Merchants of Doubt at the Beth El Temple at 2 Concord Ave. Stay tuned for more details!
Stay informed about Belmont Mothers Out Front by joining our mailing list. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the Contact button to be added to our list.